Here you'll find all the information, forms and resources needed to be an official with Welsh Athletics.
– Take a look at the results of our 2020 Officials Satisfaction Survey here.
– Stay up to date on latest news, training, development opportunities SUBSCRIBE to the Welsh Athletics Officials newsletter.
If you would like to find more competitions to officiate at, please take a look at the full calendar of Welsh events on the website.
View the Welsh Athletics Officials Kit - HERE
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - 1 February edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - 2 April edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - 3 May edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - June edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - July edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - August edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - October edition
- Officials Newsletter 2022 - December edition
- Officials Newsletter 2023 - March edition
- Officials Newsletter 2023 - May edition
- Officials Newsletter 2023 - July edition
- Officials Newsletter 2023 - August edition
- Officials Newsletter 2023 - October edition
Starter & Starter's Assistant - Officials toolkit created by Scottish Athletics
The Transition of Officials Roles and Repsonsibilities: UKA and Home Country Athletics Federations (HCAF’s) FAQ's
From the 1st July 2022, all Officials will be required to complete the online Safeguarding course at the point of re-licencing. If you have already completed the Safeguarding in Athletics module as a coach/leader or as part of another volunteer role in athletics then there is not the requirement to complete it again until your licence is due for renewal.
Communities Of Practise webinars
The webinars below have taken place. Click on the topic to watch on YouTube. Presentation can be downloaded where there is no recording.
- How to use myAthletics Portal and Athletics Hub
- Inclusive behaviours, language and best practice
- Introduction to competition admin roles. Download presentation
- How to progress along the Officials’ Endurance Pathway: webinar
- Timekeeping best practice: webinar
- Working within a start team: webinar
- Roles within a photofinish team: webinar
- Role of photo-finish technician webinar
- Roles within Race Walking Team: webinar
- How to prepare for the role of Track Referee (county/league level): webinar
- The Who's who of running a successful Track & Field event: webinar
- Referee at endurance events webinar
2022 Conference videos
Which included topics:
- Autism Awareness for Officials
- Understanding the different disciplines
- Role of Technical Manager & Clerk of Course
- Q&A panel - sharing best practise
Radio Protocol Officials webinar
On the 16th September 2020, a webinar was delivered by John Driscoll National Level 4 Field Judge Official.
Description - From starting a call to ending one. Focus on brevity, clarity and some fundamentals to ensure you're following international protocols. Covering the controls (PTT, channel, squelch) and procedures applicable to anyone using a radio at athletics meetings up to national level.
Audience: Recommended Level 2 upwards.
TESS equipment Officials training video
Delivered by Rob Hooper Level 3 Starter Official.
Description - step by step running through the set up of the electronic starting system in under 10 minutes.
Audience - Starters/Starters Assistants all levels
EDM assembling videos
What does EDM stand for? Electronic Distance Measuring kit which is made up of 3 items inside the EDM box delivered by Bob Hammond.
Assembling the parts:
Video 1 - Setting up and placement of the machiene
Video 2 - EDM Powering up and programming
Video 3 - Tips & Tricks
Help Guides for Live Field data input
Competition Management - Field Events - Live Recording - Vertical Jumps WATCH HERE
Competition Management - Field Events - Live Recording - Horizontal Jumps & Throws WATCH HERE
Behind the scenes: Seeding & Results workshop (Darran Williams)
- Seeding Part 1 WATCH HERE
- Seeding Part 2 (Championships)
3. Field Results Input High Jump WATCH HERE
4. Field Results Input Long Jump WATCH HERE
The Role of an Event Adjudicator presentation including audio (Nigel Jones)
Once you have opened the PowerPoint click Enable editing, next click Slide Show, next click From Beginning then the sound will start automatically.
Athletics Hub, is the booking system for all qualification and development opportunities for officials. This system is being used by all Home Country Athletics Federations and British Athletics. For more infomation on how to navigate Athletics Hub click here.
Track and Field pathway: Level 4
- Complete all steps at Level 3
- Register and attend Level 4 Officials Course and technology module of chosen discipline. This is facilitated by UK Athletics
- Complete Level 4 questions and submit to Upgrading Secretary Sue Hooper.
- Show evidence of mentoring and self reflection within record of experience
- Officiate at a minimum of 30 additional athletics meetings over two years (three years for photo-finish)
- Obtain a minimum of six positive reports (Level 4 or above) – contact Sue Hooper to arrange these
- Submit Level 4 application form, six positive reports and record of experience to Sue Hooper
Download the guidelines for presenting applications for Level 4.
Endurance pathway: Level 4
- Complete all steps at Level 3
- Register and attend the Level 4 course. This is facilitated by UKA
- Complete Level 4 questions and submit to your Upgrading Secretary Zoe Holloway
- Officiate at a minimum of 20 additional meetings (at least 12 experiences in senior positions, at events outside of their home region or home country, at championship races including road/cross country relays, or road races with over 10,000 competitors. The 20 experiences must include both road races and cross country)
- Show evidence of mentoring and self-reflection within your Record of Experience
- Obtain a minimum of four positive reports (reporting official must be Level 4 or above) covering each of the below duties. Contact Zoe Holloway to arrange these:
- Referee or Assistant Referee
- Start Area Coordinator / Start Director
- Finish Area Coordinator / Finish Director
- Clerk of Course / Course Director.
- This number can include the report that was submitted for accreditation to Level 3, provided that it is less than three years old at the time the application for accreditation is made.
Take a look at the summary news item The Officials Conference Returns return in-person
Take a look at the news item 'Conference summary - The first #Unite Virtual Officials & Volunteers Conference'
Pre-recorded content is now avaliable for the following virtual workshops:
Recruiting, Retaining and Valuing volunteers - Zoe Holloway, Eva Brewer & Barry Edwards
Behind the scenes: Seeding & Results workshop – Darran Williams
Presentation with Audio:
Event Adjudicator Workshop - Nigel Jones (Race Organiser & UKA Level 4 Endurance Official)
Officials & Volunteer Mental Well-being - Georgia White (Mental Health Professional)
*Instructions - click Slide Show then click From Beginning (the sound will start automatically).
Presentation only for UKA T&F Officials Pathway Level 1-5 by Sue Maughan & Geoff Wickens.
Coffee Connect Chat Series
The last 12 months have been challenging, therefore it is really important that throughout this time everyone prioritises their own mental well-being. To reconnect the Officials/Volunteers community during this period we are launching the Coffee Connect Chat series.This series started with 'Time to Talk day' Thursday 4th February 2021.
Topic: Mental well-being with Guest Speaker Georgia White, Mental Health professional that has a vast amount of experience in both public and private sector. The Officials/Volunteers well-being session covered promoting positive mental health - the benefits linked with volunteering, the importance of mental well-being, and relaxation techniques. The session included real examples throughout and highlighted resources to visit for further support.
If you missed the repeated session at the Welsh Athletics virtual Officials/Volunteers Conference 2021 here is the presentation with audio - Officials & Volunteer Mental Well-being
OUR NEXT COFFEE CONNECT CHAT DROP IN - Wednesday 31st March 2021 18:00 - 19:00pm
We welcome you to join us for a virtual coffee/tea and to interact with friends in the officials'/volunteers community.
Register in advance for this meeting HERE
(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting).
This session has no key topic just an informal catch up opportunity.
Please get in touch with suggestions for future session topics firstname.lastname@example.org
Also take a look at the Officials/Volunteers well-being calendar for March!
Keep your mind active - some challenges for you:
- Track and Field Wordsearch
- Track and Field Wordsearch 2
- Track and Field Wordsearch 3
- Track and Field Wordsearch 4
- Athletics Crossword
- Athletics Crossword 2
- Quiz - A Question of Welsh Athletics
Mental well-being - Bitesize Self Care series presented by Sarah Carvell Sport Psychologist Sport Wales
Coping with change presented by Louise Jones Lead Sport Psychologist Sport Wales
Keep yourself active: Welsh Athletics 'Mile-A-Day' (MAD) Firebreak Challenge / Milltir Y Dydd
Keep learning Webinar - Changes within the new UKA rules for competition 2020-2022. Delivered by Peter Crawshaw, Tim Soutar and John Temperton.
Webinar - Role of a field referee Delivered by John Driscoll.
Webinar - Officiating Off-Track Endurance events from Grass Roots to Championships. Delivered by Arwel Williams & Graham Heeley.
Webinar - Gadgets & Gizmos within T&F officiating (Part 1). Delivered by Steve Marshall.
Webinar - The Role of Technical Manager Delivered by Mick Frazer.
Put your officiating knowledge to the test with a series of officiating questions to help educate and reinforce learning for new and experienced officials:
These terms apply to any bookings you make for courses delivered directly by us, Welsh Athletics Limited, on the Athletics Hub website (www.athleticshub.co.uk) or in any other format. Please read them carefully before you make any booking with us, as they set out important information about your and our rights and obligations.