Development and Performance
Competing for Wales
The overall objective of the International Competitions programme is to prepare Welsh athletes to perform at the best of their ability at Major Championship events. As part of that strategy, Welsh Athletics is committed to providing International competition opportunities across all disciplines.
International competitions are categorised as one of the following:
- International Match (where a Welsh team is fielded in a competitive fixture against other teams)
- International Overseas or Domestic Fixture (either an overseas or domestic competition that provides Welsh athletes of the appropriate standard with a conducive environment to achieve a good performance outcome)
To be considered to represent Wales, athletes must satisfy the Eligibility Criteria laid out below.
List of Junior Representative fixtures for Road and Cross Country in 2021 & 2022, inlcuding Liverpool XC [Selection policy below.]
Track & Field
- International Match Selection Standards
- International Overseas Fixture Selection Standards
- Dynamic New Athleitcs 2022
- Loughborough International 2022
2022 opportunities will be confirmed soon
Mountain and Ultra Running
If you are interested in becoming a Team Manager at one of our upcoming Welsh Represenative opportunties please complete the following Team Manager Expressions of Interest Form and notify Bethan Davies (Performance Logistics Assistant) of your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales
Grounds for eligibility:
- Parentage - athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have a Welsh parent.
- Residency – 3 years continuous living in Wales. Athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have lived permanently in Wales for at least 3 years.
- Retention – athletes who have competed for Wales at senior level and gone through the eligibility system but have moved out of Wales. (has previously gone through eligibility on residency grounds.