Development and Performance
Competing for Wales
The overall objective of the International Competitions programme is to prepare Welsh athletes to perform at the best of their ability at Major Championship events. As part of that strategy, Welsh Athletics is committed to providing International competition opportunities across all disciplines.
International competitions are categorised as one of the following:
- International Match (where a Welsh team is fielded in a competitive fixture against other teams)
- International Overseas or Domestic Fixture (either an overseas or domestic competition that provides Welsh athletes of the appropriate standard with a conducive environment to achieve a good performance outcome)
To be considered to represent Wales, athletes must satisfy the Eligibility Criteria laid out below.
List of Junior Representative fixtures for Road and Cross Country in 2021 & 2022, inlcuding Liverpool XC [Selection policy below.]
Track & Field
- International Match Selection Standards
- International Overseas Fixture Selection Standards
- 5th February 2022 Dynamic New Athleitcs
- 22nd May 2022 Loughborough International
- 17th August 2022 Selection Policy U20 WA International
- 3rd-4th September England Throws Camps Throws Fest
- 11th February 2022 PUL5K Selection Policy
- 27th March 2022 Cardiff Half Marathon 2022 Selection Policy
- 1st May 2022 Cardiff Victory 5K
- 20th August 2022 Podium ASICS Home Nations 5km
- 27th November 2021 Liverpool Cross Country
- 22nd Janurary 2022 Home Countries and Celtic Cross Country International
- 12th November 2022 British Masters Cross Country International Dubai
- 12th November 2022 Home Countries Cross Country Milton Keynes
Mountain and Ultra Running
- 3rd April 2022 Anglo Celtic Plate 100k
- 26th June 2022 MRA International U18 Mountain Running Cup
- 22nd May 2022 Senior Home Countries International 2022
- 3rd September 2022 British & Irish Junior Mountain Running Championships
- 16th July 2022 SIAB Track and Field International
- 17th August 2022 WSAA Selection Policy - WA U20 international
If you are interested in becoming a Team Manager at one of our upcoming Welsh Represenative opportunties please complete the following Team Manager Expressions of Interest Form and notify Bethan Davies (Performance Logistics Assistant) of your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales
Grounds for eligibility:
- Parentage - athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have a Welsh parent.
- Residency – 3 years continuous living in Wales. Athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have lived permanently in Wales for at least 3 years.
- Retention – athletes who have competed for Wales at senior level and gone through the eligibility system but have moved out of Wales. (has previously gone through eligibility on residency grounds.