Development and Performance
Competing for Wales
The overall objective of the International Competitions programme is to prepare Welsh athletes to perform at the best of their ability at Major Championship events. As part of that strategy, Welsh Athletics is committed to providing International competition opportunities across all disciplines.
International competitions are categorised as one of the following:
- International Match (where a Welsh team is fielded in a competitive fixture against other teams)
- International Overseas or Domestic Fixture (either an overseas or domestic competition that provides Welsh athletes of the appropriate standard with a conducive environment to achieve a good performance outcome)
To be considered to represent Wales, athletes must satisfy the Eligibility Criteria laid out below.
International Cross Country Opportunities - 2019/2020
Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales
Grounds for eligibility:
- Parentage - athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have a Welsh parent.
- Residency – 2 years continuous living in Wales. Athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have lived permanently in Wales for at least 2 years. Note: athletes wishing to be considered for Commonwealth Games need to have lived in Wales permanently for at least 5 years. Still need to go through the eligibility system.
- Retention – athletes who have competed for Wales at senior level and gone through the eligibility system but have moved out of Wales. (has previously gone through eligibility on residency grounds. Note: Retention athletes cannot be considered for Commonwealth Games.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org