Here you'll find all the information, forms and resources needed to be Coach or Leader with Welsh Athletics.
Sign up to keep in touch with CPD opportunities and receive the latest news.
The UKA Disclosure and Barring Service application is an online form. This system not only makes it easier for individual’s to apply for a DBS but also makes it quicker by streamlining the process. Follow the steps below:
- Log onto your Welsh Athletics Members Portal. If this is the first time you are applying for a coaches or officials licence, you would have had an account created for you when you applied to attend a course, in your confirmation email you will find your URN number (this is the same as your WA number).
- Once you have logged in you will see your personal details section. At the bottom of the first section shows the current status of your DBS.
- Click on the appropriate link to update your DBS. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You will need to provide three forms of identification to the person you chose as your verifier. The online process will state who you can use as a verifier and suggest verifiers local to you. You can click here to see what identification you can use.
Once you have completed an online application it is processed and you will receive your DBS certificate in the post. Once UKA have received an electronic copy of your DBS certificate your licence will be produced and sent out.
- It is possible for you to select a local verifier online.
- If you are not able to access the online application system, please contact the UKA Welfare team on 0121 713 8450 or email: email@example.com
- If the applicant selects to have the application emailed, you will receive a notification email stating that they have nominated you as their verifier.
- The email will link you to the applicant’s verification page, this link stays live until you have completed and submitted the verification form online.
- You will need to physically see three forms of identification in your evidence checker role. Once you have completed your checks and are satisfied as to the identity of the applicant, complete the verification page and submit the document online.
Paper verification applications:
The applicant must supply the printed verification application form along with their identification documents to the local verifier. Once checked, the applicant then must forward their form to ‘Athletics Welfare, PO Box 332, Sale, Manchester, M33 6XL’. UKA will then complete the verification process.
From 1 April 2019 new requirements will start to come into effect for coaches and those renewing a licence regarding safeguarding training. This has been devised specifically for athletics using UKA’s existing welfare policies and procedures, so all examples are relevant to the sport. The online nature of the training allows coaches to complete it in their own time and choice of location. The course, which is subsidised, will cost £10 to access, comprises two modules as well as a short, multiple-choice test after each module. For the course and more information click here.
Description: This module was written in partnership with the UKA Education and Welfare Sub Group. It is aimed at athlete support networks and primarily coaches as part of their mandatory training requirements. For more information click here.
Description: This module was written in partnership with Jane Fylan, UK Athletics Duty of Care Lead and is endorsed by Double Olympic Gold Medallist, Dame Kelly Holmes MBE’s 'The Running Mind' initiative. It is aimed at those who participate in sport and their support networks such as coaches, family and medical support staff. For more information please click here.
Description: Whether participating in a sport, coaching or volunteering everyone should be aware of what bullying is and how it can be prevented. At EduCare we ensure that all of our courses are written and endorsed by experts. This module has been produced in partnership with UK Athletics, the governing body for the sport of athletics in the United Kingdom. For more information please click here.