Officiating Course Fees Announcement
09/03/2023 00:00, In Blog /
From the 1st of April 2023, we will be reintroducing fees for Officiating courses held in Wales.
As part of the World Championship Legacy Programme, in 2017 Welsh Athletics Official Education fees were subsided in the hope that this would increase the number of officials here in Wales. With Officials education transferring from UK Athletics to the Home Countries, Welsh Athletics is committed to improving the experience of officials who go through the education pathway. We hope that the re-introduction of the fees, will enable Welsh Athletics to re-invest back into the official’s education pathway, whilst also ensuring the commitment of our clubs in recruiting officials to support the grass roots of our sport.
From the 1st of April the following course fees will apply:
- £25 Level 1 Endurance & Risk Awareness.
- £25 All Level 1 Track & Field courses (in a specific discipline; Track Judge, Timekeeper, Field Judge, Starter/Starter's Assistant, Photo Finish, Race Walking).
- £15 Assistant Official.
Going forward, all course proceeds will be ringfenced to support ongoing Officials’ recruitment and development programmes to further support Welsh Officials.
Zoe Holloway, Officials & Volunteer Development Officer at Welsh Athletics added:
“After ongoing analysis of officiating courses in Wales, Welsh Athletics have determined that due to the courses being free of charge the course attendance rate and completion rate to level 1 has been lower than anticipated.
We hope this step will improve attendance rates and completion rates of trainee officials qualifying to level 1.”
What are the benefits of being an Official?
- Become part of the athletics community, enjoy great personal reward, learn new skills and deliver successful and enjoyable competition experiences.
- In 2020, we launched the Welsh Athletics Officials Reward Scheme to acknowledge both the commitment and progression that is shown by our volunteer officials each year.
- Claim expenses for Welsh Athletics competitions.
- Ongoing free CPD opportunities – such as Communities of Practise webinars, Welsh Athletics conference, development days etc.
- 20% off WA merchandise at events. The first event to take advantage of this new benefit will be Senior Outdoor Championships in June!
Will any courses be free?
Yes, both the DBS check and UKA online Health & Safety module will remain free of charge.
Do virtual courses cost different to face-to-face courses?
No, they will cost the same.
Can I get financial support?
If you are a member of a club, it’s worth asking if your club can support with your training fees.
We recommend clubs apply for the Be Active Wales Fund grant.
The grants are between £300 and £50,000 to projects in Wales that intend to do at least one of the following:
- Reducing inequality
- Creating long-term sustainability
- Introducing new or different ways of operating
For example, funding could be used to upskill volunteers where clubs have gaps in skills or experience.
You are eligible if you’re a not-for-profit club or community organisation in Wales with a project or activity that:
- Has not yet started.
- Will take place in Wales and be mainly for people who live in Wales.
- Not only for the benefit of pupils of a school where the project takes place.
Clubs can apply once each financial year (April to April).
How can my club apply?
By submitting an application to Sport Wales online.
Can my club book me onto an Officials course?
No, you will need to register yourself. However, clubs can purchase monetary vouchers on the Athletics Hub for level 1 and assistant official courses then you can use this voucher to book onto a course.
How do clubs purchase a voucher?
- Create an account on Athletics Hub / log in to Athletics Hub.
- On the left sidebar choose vouchers.
- Choose monetary voucher.
- Select organisation Wales.
- Enter the amount & quantity.
- Add to basket and proceed to check-out.
- You will receive a voucher code via email.
What are the ongoing costs?
UKA online Safeguarding module - costs £10 (renewed every 3 years in line with DBS).
When will this be affective from?
1st April 2023