WHAT IS THE FUTURES PROGRAMME?
The Welsh Futures Programme provides a resource based support package to athletes in the U20 & U23 age groups, who have a possibility of making the Welsh team at the next Commonwealth Games, and the potential to win a medal or achieve a top-8 finish at future Commonwealth Games. All those supported on this programme will be considered for nomination for funding through Welsh Sports Aid.
Selection for this element of the programme is based within tolerances for the CWG qualification criteria. At the core of the programme will be individual athlete plans with Futures activity integrated into individual plans through discussion with the Personal Coaches and relevant NTDC
It will look to provide:
- Annual screening, Tracking & Benchmarking
- Reactive Physiotherapy support
- Support to attend International competition, such as World, European & Commonwealth age group championships and minor internationals subject to selection.
- Organised training days and camps with education programme which ensures athletes & coaches are provided with the knowledge and tools to realise their potential.
- Access to performance support services.
- Access to performance training environments.
- Objective measures of technical and physical abilities to provide insight and interventions to enable development.
Guideline Tolerance tables for entry on to the Futures Programme - relative progression against age and competition experience will also be considered when making selections.
In order to move up the Commonwealth Programme, developing athletes will need to have registered a performance within the tolerances laid out in the table on page 13 of the Athlete Development Programme.