WSAA Virtual Competition Programme 2020/21
With the continuing COVID restrictions affecting the way Schools in Wales are able to deliver Sport and Sporting Competition. Welsh Schools and our partners at Welsh Athletics today launch the first stage of a virtual programme to run across the winter months.
Sportshall Pentathlon Challenge
This will run from Monday, November 2nd to Friday, November 27th.
- Full details plus the results pack are included as downloads - Guidance Notes and Results spreadsheet
- This is a fully inclusive offer available to ALL Primary and Secondary Schools across Wales and is targeted at Years 5&6 (Primary) and Years 7&8 (Secondary).
- Full details of adaptions to make competition suitable for children attending STF units and Special Schools are included within the Guidance notes.
Adam Burgess, Senior Development Manager at Sportshall commented:
“I am delighted the Sportshall Pentathlon will form a part of Welsh Schools Virtual Competition Programme this term. During these times it is important we adapt and develop programmes that can enable young people to stay active and connected across communities.”
These activities are designed so that they can take place during normal lesson time, meaning that pupils can experience them within their “bubbles”. They also offer opportunities to develop literacy, numeracy and the wider key skills and can be adapted easily for indoor or outdoor settings.
- Competition is based around the top 25 event scores in each discipline of the pentathlon, with combined boys and girls scoring at Primary level and separate boys and girls competitions at secondary level.
- Only very basic equipment is required but schools wishing to offer the complete experience can purchase a Sportshall Pentathlon kit: https://www.eveque.co.uk/school-games-pentathlon-pack
- Equally, schools can look at the whole range of Sportshall activity by using the guide: https://www.eveque.co.uk/sportshall-handbook
Individual and School Leaderboards will be published each week, schools are asked to send results to:
COMING SOON: - CROSS COUNTRY CHALLENGE – schools are asked to look at measuring and marking a flat 1 kilometre course within school grounds (if possible - Pupil involvement in creating the course as a project is an option!) ahead of this– Watch out for more details !!!!