WSAA Bulletin – October 1st 2020. – UPDATE
Welsh Schools have been in extensive discussions with friends at the other Home Countries Schools Associations as well as colleagues at Welsh Athletics as we continue to try to steer our way through the situation around COVID 19.
The WSAA Management Group met on Wednesday, September 30th. and we are now in a position to confirm the CANCELLATION of the following event:
- International Indoor Combined Events (Glasgow, November 28th. 2020)
This was a decision not taken lightly by our friends and colleagues at Scottish Schools but reflect the concerns of all at WSAA and Welsh Athletics around the health and safety of pupils, teachers, parents and Officials.
Equally in light of current local lockdowns across Wales the Management Group also took the decision to POSTPONE the following events:
- Joint Combined Events Championships (NIAC, November 8th. 2020)
- Inter Schools XC Championships (inc Welsh Colleges Champs) (Brecon, November 28th. 2020).
The postponement will be reviewed at the WSAA General Assembly to be held on November 21st. Updates will be provided in the Bulletin following this meeting.
As a result of these cancellations/postponements we STRONGLY ADVISE that all School District Competition is also cancelled for Autumn Term 2020. It is important that we all support the return to full time schools’ provision and do not provide opportunities for children to mix outside of educational “bubbles”.
On a slightly more positive note we are able to confirm that we will be offering the following “virtual” opportunities to provide an element of competition and to support PE teachers in offering a wide variety of activities:
- The Mini Marathon 2.6 Challenge – currently active and available until Friday October 9th. 2020 Virgin Money Giving Mini London Marathon page.
- A Sportshall Athletics Pentathlon Challenge (information available shortly with competition starting after October half term).
- A “Virtual XC Challenge” set over a 1k cross country loop within your own school grounds (again information out shortly with competition through December).
- WSAA Management Group meeting – Friday, November 6th.
- WSAA General Assembly (AGM) – Saturday, November 21st.
- WSAA National XC Championships – Wednesday, February 10th. (PROVISIONAL)
Everyone associated with Schools Athletics in Wales is asked to continue to follow the restrictions in place around travel and social contact for as long as it takes. PLEASE STAY SAFE !!
Steve Jones (WSAA Support Officer), Dai Gatehouse (WSAA Chairman), Zane Maynard (WSAA International Secretary), James Williams (Chief Executive – Welsh Athletics)