The Weekend Round Up - 2021 Welsh Senior & U15 Championships
Welsh Senior & U15 Championships
[Link Photo: Bethan Davies, 10,000m Race Walk Gold, Banner photo: Women's 100 Hurdles Final. Credit: Bowden's Photography]
What an incredible weekend of performances it was at the Welsh Senior & U15 Championships with many highlights - Day 1 & Day 2
Athletes who gained CWG nomination standard:
It was an incredible first day of athletics where Adele Nicoll [Ryan Spencer Jones] threw a CWG standard of 16m89 which just shows what great form she is in as her previous performances showed that she was capable of throwing so well.
On day 2 we saw another 2 qualifications, once again coming in the throws. Osian Jones [Carys Parry] added another qualification standard to his collection as he took the men's Hammer victory in a consistent set of throws over 70m. The best of the series was 71.21m.
The 2nd qualification standard came from 2018 CWG athlete Bethan Davies who claimed the 10,000m gold in a time of 45:21.
Day 1 -
- In an incredible race in the Senior Women's 200m, Shannon Malone was the 1st Welsh athlete to cross the line in 23.98 to finish 3rd in the final, just being beat by Abi Galpin of Guernsey and Ellie-Mae Brandy who won in 23.85.
- The U15G 200m was one by Scarlett Cargill in 26.70 beating her fellow clubmates of Newport Harriers Cerys Radcliffe and Nia Parry.
- Welsh Paralympian Harrison Walsh threw 51.21 to finish 1st of the Welshmen but 3rd in the overall competition with James Tomlinson finishing 4th in 50.12.
- Amy Oduniya ran yet another PB claiming her first 400m title in 54.13.
- In the U15G Javelin Evie Aitchison threw 30.44m to take the victory.
- Kobe Beltran took the 3000m victory comfortably in 9:54.22.
Day 2 -
- The U15G Discus gold medal went to Megan Cerys Brown as she threw 26.83 - over 3m further than 2nd place.
- Caryl Granville took the Welsh title in the Senior Women's 100m hurdles with a personal best of 13.45. The race was won by English athlete Jenna Blundell in 13.20 - a CWG standard for her.
- The U15B 100m was on in a new CBP of 11.11 by Joseph Berry ahead of Aron Tugwell in 11.19 and the U15G 100m was won comfortably by Nell Desir in 12.10.
- With a great series of jumps Rebecca Chapman once again took the victory in the Long Jump with 6.31m.
- In the SM 3000m SC, Brychan Price Davies took the win in 10:20.38.
- Bethany Moule won the Senior Women's Javelin with all her throws over the 40m mark taking the win with 45.02m.
- High Jumper Jonathan Bailey took the victory with 2metres beating Seb Clatworthy and Gibril Carlisle who managed 1.95m.
- Aled Price took the victory in the combined event challenge scoring 1871 points in 3 events. In the Senior women's Lauryn Davey won with a total point score of 2393.
- It was a huge breakthrough for Joshua Brown as he ran 10.33 (putting him 7th on the Wales all-time list) in his heat to qualify for the final and it was a dramatic final in the men's A100m final as Scottish runner Adam Thomas took the victory in a Scottish CWG standard of 10.22 (his 2nd of the day) beating sub10 runner Romell Glave 10.27 and U23 European Champion Jeremiah Azu 10.31. 2019 defending champion Sam Gordon finished 5th in the final in 10.39. In the B final, it was another Scottish athlete Krishawn Aiken who took the victory in 10.47. Welshman Dewi Hammond who has found his way back into great form after a tough couple of years backed up his 10.35 from 2 weeks ago with a 10.48.
- In the Women's final it was an incredible win for Swansea Harriers Hannah Brier who took the win in 11.44 just 0.09s outside of the CGW nomination standard ahead of Mica Moore who ran a PB of 11.62 and England's Rebecca Jeggo in 11.66.
Click here to see the Performances of the Weekend and the Results of the Combined Event Challenge.
Full results from the weekend can be found here: 2021 Welsh Senior & U15 Championships
In the final BMC series of the 2021 season, Jenny Nesbitt [Chris Jones] took the win front running the 5000m in 15:39.36.
Full results can be found here: BMC GP Eltham 2021
U15 & U17 England Championships
- Daffyd Pawlett won the u17m shot put with 17.62 and has also been selected for GB U18s for Manchester International this Wednesday.
- Michael Jenkins threw 46.62m winning the Para discus event and also the won overall competition on distance!
- In very tough conditions Will Trott took the gold medal in the U17 Pole Vault.
- U15 Nell Desir won gold in the 100m
Leiria - Portugal International Throws Competition
- Osian Jones threw another CWG 2 standards throwing 70.34 on day 1 and 70.76 on day 2.
- Adele Nicoll threw her 2nd furthest throw ever in the Shot throwing 16.41 which was 39cm off of the CWG standard.
- Ffion Palmer threw her 2nd best throw ever in the Hammer throwing 54.57.
- Cassey Grimwade threw a PB of 45.52 in the Hammer.
- Patrick Swan Threw 17.32 in the Shot Put
- Daniel Cork Threw 16.32 in the Shot Put
Apologies to all athletes and coaches that performaces were missed in the previous weekend round ups.