#SupportYourClub: Inspiring Activities in Lockdown and FAQ’s
In what has been a turbulent year to date, for some areas, local lockdown has thrown up a number of challenges. Not to be deterred, once again athletics clubs and running groups across Wales have found ways to innovate, adapt and evolve in order to keep people active and keep the sport moving forward.
Due to the travel restrictions we have seen a number of clubs offering ‘satellite’ sessions, groups and members meeting up, away from their usual activity, for runs and localised training activities. We have also seen a number of informal ‘membership swaps’ taking place with clubs allowing registered members from other clubs (who are not currently allowed to travel cross borders to train) to join in and take part in training activities. This coming together across the wider community is what makes the sport of athletics so special.
All these activities are within the local lockdown restrictions and in line with the Return to Athletics guidance. Clearly there have been a number of questions raised and, in an attempt to make things a little clearer, we have revised and updated the Return to Athletics Frequently Ask Questions document (Version 3) to reflect local lockdown restrictions as and where appropriate. We have also updated and included detail on the; Test, Trace & Protect guidance for the 'Responsible Person’ (Version 2).
Want to support your club or group this week? Here are a number of ways you can help, get involved and #SupportYourClub…
- Apply to the Sport Wales Be Active Wales Fund… Clubs a groups across Wales have been applying through this scheme to support a wider and safer return to activity. The fund supports clubs and groups to get back up and running and facilitates the development of activity in a responsible and effective way.
- Register for the next Clwb Run Wales webinar taking place on Wednesday 21st October (6.30-7.30pm). The ‘Getting Going & Keeping Going - A Beginners Running Workshop’ will offer tips and advice for all those who've got into running or back involved with running during Lockdown. Full details and how to register here
- Complete one of the interactive Club Reviews on the Welsh Athletics Clubs Portal. The site has a variety of reviews across a number of key club development areas and hoses a host of resources including over 40 support and online training videos.
- Develop your knowledge. You can learn online with us this autumn / winter or existing coaches and leaders can take advantage of the Welsh Athletics / UK Coaching partnership and access number of different resources.
- Sign up for a new look coach education course… formal coach qualifications and face-to-face delivery is returning this weekend and details of future courses are available via Athletics Hub. In partnership with British Athletics we have launched the ‘new look’ Leadership in Running Fitness course. This course offers a blended approach to learning (consisting of a series of Online Learning Modules and a Practical Session (Half Day) with further information available here.