Schools Athletics and Initiatives Updates
08/12/2021 00:00, In Blog / Cross Country / School News /
SCHOOLS CROSS COUNTRY:
The Welsh Secondary Schools & Colleges Cross Country Championships will be held at Brecon on Saturday 12th February. To participate you must be selected by your school district. Below are the provisional dates and venues for seven of the eight school districts. We are awaiting details of the South East Wales. In the meantime pupils from any school district wishing to participate should speak to their school PE teacher. At Brecon each school district may enter up to 12 pupils in each age group and gender (Yr7, YR8/9, YR10/11 & YR 12/13/14).
- Wednesday 12th January, Powys @ Dolerw Park, Newtown.
- Thursday 13th January, North East Wales @ Mold Alun School.
- Wednesday 19th January, Glamorgan Valleys @ Bridgend Recreation Ground
- Sunday 23rd January, Cardiff & The Vale @ YG Bro Morgannwg.
- Tuesday 25th January, Dyfed @ Haverfordwest Racecourse
- Wednesday 26th January, Afan Nedd Tawe @ Margam Park
- Thursday 27th January, Eryri @Ysgol Bro Idris, Dolgellau
The Welsh Schools cross country championships on 12th February also act as the selection event for the British Schools cross country international for U15 (school years 8 & 9) and U17 (school years 10 & 11) which are being hosted by ourselves this year at Pembrey Country Park on Saturday 26th March 2022.
WEDNESDAY 9TH FEBRUARY:
Virtual Run Jump Throw Teaching Primary School Athletics Workshop. £50pp. This is an online workshop that will take place in two parts; the first at 10:00 - 12:00 and the second part 13:00 - 15:00. The aim of this course is to provide teachers, new teachers and trainee teachers and others working in primary schools with the knowledge, skills and confidence to deliver enjoyable and engaging running, jumping and throwing lessons that focus on maximum participation, increasing understanding and skill acquisition based upon high quality technical models. For more details and to book click here.
WEDNESDAY 16TH FEBRUARY.
Virtual run Jump Throw Teaching Secondary School Athletics Workshop. £60pp. 3 x Two hour workshops covering the topics of:
- Teaching Running Events & Developing Pupils Engagement
- Teaching Jumping Events & How to deliver an Inclusive, Child-Centred Approach
- Teaching Throwing Events & Developing Schemes of Work and Lesson Plans
Each workshop is accompanied by free access to the Secondary Schools App-based Resource, associated with the workshop topic (i.e. If you attend the running workshop you will get the Running Teaching Resource, but if you attend all three workshops you will get the full secondary schools bundle). These resources include:
- Examples of Schemes of Work and Lesson Plans
- Technical tips on how to teach sprints, endurance, jumps and throws events
- Activity cards covering a full range of athletics events for pupils aged 11+
- Pupil Tasks Cards for greater independent learning
The resources associated with this workshop are provided via the Schools Athletics App, which has been designed to place running, jumping and throwing at the heart of school physical education, whilst supporting teachers in delivering athletics activities in an inclusive, exciting and engaging manner. For more detail and to book click here.
THE DAILY MILE
Why not use the Daily Mile to help prepare your pupils for the Winter term cross country events. As part of an exciting new partnership, Welsh Athletics has entered into a formal partnership with The Daily Mile. The Daily Mile is a transformative initiative where children run, jog, wheel or walk for fifteen minutes every day. Inclusivity and accessibility has always been at the heart of The Daily Mile – getting young people involved regardless of ability. For more details on how to sign your school up for this initiative click here.