Launch of Welsh Athletics Pilot Competitions
Welsh Athletics are delighted to now be able to confirm full details of the pilot Track & Field events to take place on Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th August.
Both events will be run with restricted numbers to comply with the current Welsh Government guidance of no more than 30 people present at an outdoor sporting activity.
Saturday 15th August
- Throws Pilot Event
- Ron Jones Stadium, Aberdare
- Age Groups: U20, Senior
- Maximum number of athletes in each event: 6
- Events: Shot, Hammer, Discus, Javelin
Sunday 16th August
- Track Pilot Event
- Swansea University Athletics Stadium
- Age Groups: U20, Senior
- Maximum number of athletes in each event: 15
- Events: 100m, 400m, 800m
Entries for both these events will open at 10am on Friday 31st July, and will close either once fully subscribed or at 5pm on Wednesday 5th August.
Athletes entering these events will need to ensure that they are fully registered with their club and that their Welsh Athletics registration is paid for 2020-21.
A number of key restrictions will be in place to ensure that these events are compliant with current Welsh Government legislation.
- No spectators will be permitted to attend the event. This is in line with current Welsh Government legislation on sports events. Athletes may nominate one person to accompany them to the event if they wish, but no other individuals will be permitted access to the venue.
- Athletes will only be allowed to enter one event at any competition.
- Male and female athletes will compete together, and will be seeded on performances where appropriate. The maximum number of athletes for these events is fixed in order to comply with Welsh Government legislation on gathering sizes and takes into consideration the number of athletes, accompanying persons and officials in the facility at any given time.
“Whilst these events will operate with very limited numbers, this is an important step for the sport in Wales as we begin to implement the restrictions details in our Return to Competition guidance documents released last week. It is the hope that these events will allow us to asses the new measures in place at events and ensure that clubs and competition providers can be provided with a template for event delivery that is safe and compliant with current Welsh Government regulations. As more facilities across Wales come back online, we will be able to confirm a wider competition programme for the remainder of the 2020 season.”
Head of Competitions - Rhiannon Linington-Payne
Current Programme of confirmed events:
- Saturday 22nd August
U15/U17 Throws – Shot, Hammer, Discus, Javelin
Ron Jones Stadium, Aberdare
- Sunday 23rd August
U15/U17 Track – 100m, 200m, 800m
Swansea University Athletics Stadium
Entries for these events will open in due course.