#FeatureFriday - Good news from Brecon!
24/05/2021 00:00, In Blog / Track & Field /
Sunday 23rd “Return to Athletics” Track and Field meeting at Brecon’s Penlan Track for under 11s, under 13s, and under 15s. Organised by Brecon AC for invited neighbouring clubs.
- Over 100 athletes from Blaenau Gwent, Aberdare, Brecon, and Hereford braved the rain.
- A limited programme of events was offered, partly to manage numbers in line with the event’s covid risk assessment.
- For most of them, this was their first competition for over a year; and for the under 11s it was their first-ever experience of competition.
- Over 20 volunteers involved in the preparation and on the day.
- The results were posted online as the afternoon progressed and full results were available within hours of the competition ending
Comments from parents and supporters from the invited clubs show that we succeeded in our main objective – giving a confidence-boosting re-introduction to competition. (quotes from facebook feedback)
“Our Athletes left wet and a little cold but all had smiles on their faces and want to know when the next competition is. I know they will return to training with renewed enthusiasm and that's all thanks to you and your team at Brecon AC.” Hereford Ac coach.
“Thank you again for organising such a successful competition today, all the athletes, coaches, and parents were very happy that once again they were able to compete after having such a long time off from athletics.
The events were extremely well organised and thank you to all the officials who made the children feel comfortable and at ease in their events. Apart from the awful weather, it was a wonderful day.”
“Thanks for organising such a successful event it is very much appreciated, Claire my wife hasn’t stopped talking about it since I got home!
I think it was very much needed looking at the conversations in our parent's group you’ve breathed a bit of life back into our clubs' juniors “
“Well done to all the athletes today. Thank you to everyone involved. My girls enjoyed themselves even in the rain.”
“This was our first experience, it was run very well and everyone was very friendly and helpful”
Saturday 22nd Club trail run.
- In contrast to the rain on Sunday, the off-road runners enjoyed 8 miles of sunshine by Tal y Bont reservoir.
- Since the easing of lockdown restrictions the club’s group runs have come back to life with regular on and offroad runs
- Very inclusive –people turn up worried they will be too slow and hold everyone back, but then enjoy it and come back for more.