After the storm - came the records! The Barry 40 mile track race.
Barry's Jenner Park once again hosted the unique Ultra event this weekend that is the Barry 40 - forty miles on a standard 400m track. This is 161 laps - which makes the lap counters' performances nearly as impressive as the athletes! This year saw a stunning course record set by Michael Taylor of St Neots, who won in 3h53 mins - which equates to an average of 5.50 per mile, or sub-18min for 5k 13 times in a row!
Despite the wind, we were privileged to witness a sensational piece of even-paced running by Michael Taylor, who took down Simon Pride's 21-year-old course record by 51 seconds. There were some remarkable performances throughout the field - and quite amazingly for an event of this duration - a 100% survival rate. Thank you to everyone who came and supported.
Mick McGeoch, Race Organiser
34th Annual Barry 40 Mile Track Race
Sunday 1st March 2020
1. Michael Taylor M38 St Neots Riverside / RAF 3:53:04
2. Andrew Siggers M40 Kenilworth Runners 4:05:44
3. Adam Stokes M35 Bristol & West 4:07:19
4. Jez Bragg M38 Twemlow Track Club 4:18:42
5. Andrew Savery M37 Leamington 4:20:40
6. James Elgar M35 MMRT 4:23:20
7. Sam Richards M27 Pontypridd Roadents 4:34:54
8. Barry Miller M39 Poole AC 4:43:48
9. Rob Kestin M33 Port Talbot Harriers 4:43:03
10. Jeremy Mower M54 Gloucester AC 4:54:29
11. Matthew Ryan M44 Unattached 5:10:37
12. Dave Coles M60 Les Croupiers 5:18:47
13. Stu Wilkie M40 Hogweed Trotters 5:41:02
14. Helen James F47 100 Marathon Club 5:41:34
15. Chris Carver M56 Otley AC 5:44:13
16. Rachel Bowen F42 Lliswerry Runners 5:54:03
17. Steph Wilson F41 Pudsey & Bramley AC 5:55:11
18. Izzy Cairns F41 Tynebridge Harriers 6:46:24