Corona Virus impact - Update & Event Postponements
20/04/2020 00:00, I Mewn Blog /
Frequently Asked Questions
Our athletics world has changed dramatically in the last month, and we appreciate that these can be confusing and difficult times with lots of uncertainty and unanswered questions. We will be continuing to work with colleagues across the sport in the UK and Wales to make decisions and provide clarity and guidance when appropriate.
Below is our updated set of FAQ responses based on what our staff have been hearing from their regular contact with the community. We will be reviewing and updating these responses on a regular basis, so please check online every Monday lunchtime for updates - Updates from V1 are highlighted.
FAQs V2 20th April 2020
Guidance for running while social distancing ENGLISH CYMRAEG
Athletics now shares the same goals as everyone else - protecting everyone from the Corona Virus and saving the NHS. Please be smart, do not train in groups, respect the health guidelines, look out for each other, stay physically active, stay well #SaveTheNHS #Coronavirus.
On Tuesday 24th March, issued an updated statement extending the restrictions on athletics in Wales to the end of May 2020.
Welsh Athletics & UKA are now advocating the suspension of all organised athletics activity.
British Athletics Competition Steering Group have issued an updated statement regarding plans for the remainder of the season.
Whilst these restrictions are in place we'll be collating and looking to provide opportunities to Stay Home & Stay Involved
All Welsh Athletics events are now postponed until the end of May
This includes a number of Welsh Representative Fixtures
Major Welsh, UK, & International Event postponement statements:
- Cardiff Bay 10k, ABP Newport Marathon, Welsh Castles Relays
- SIAB Schools Cross Country, 21st March
- Virgin London Marathon
- Great Welsh Marathon
- Youth Development League [YDL]
- European 10,000m Cup and European Mountain Running Championships moved to 2021.
- European Athletics U18 Championships scheduled for 16-19 July in Rieti, Italy, will now not take place in 2020 - any new date will be communicated in due course.
- European Throwing Cup 2020, originally scheduled for 21-22 March in Portugal and earlier postponed, is now cancelled
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics postponed until 2021
Separate guidance for Competition Providers & Race Organisers issued by UK Athletics is here. If you are responsible for an event that is cancelled, please let us know via email@example.com and we will share this on our communication channels.