In order to compete in Welsh Championships, be called up to represent Wales in International matches and major competitions and enjoy a range of benefits, an athlete need to fulfil some very basic requirements regarding registration.
All athletes need to be member of an affiliated club and need to be registered with Welsh Athletics.
Upon joining a club, athletes are required to pay a club subscription (as detailed by the club itself), plus a Welsh Athletics registration fee which the club will forward to Welsh Athletics. With effect from 1st April 2016 the registration fees will be £17.50 for seniors, £10 for juniors (U11, U13, U15, U17, U20).
Welsh Athletics Affiliation registration is valid from April 1st for one year.
If a new member affiliates with Welsh Athletics between January 1st and March 31st, they will benefit from 15 months membership until 31st March the following year.
Benefits of Registration
Besides the obvious advantages of registering with Welsh Athletics, such as the possibility to take part in the wide range of competitions and activities organised by the national governing body and the chance to be selected to represent Wales, there are extra benefits to make sure you get the best out of your Welsh Athletics experience:
- Insurance cover to protect you whilst you take part in the sport.
- Every registered member will be issued with a unique registration number and access to an individual profile on the UK registration system.
- An individual athlete profile linked to the Power of 10 / Run Britain.
- All registered members receive reduced entry to the Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon. In addition, affiliated club registered members also receive a £2 discount on race entry fees across a number of licenced road race events.
- You will be eligible for discounted coaching courses fees when accessing the formal coach education pathway. (Coaching Assistant, Athletics Coach and Coach in Running Fitness qualification).
- Welsh Athletics also provides a year-round competition programme across all disciplines, all age groups, all ability levels and all regions. Club members are eligible to compete at championship events (regional and national) as well as international opportunities (as appropriate).
- Discounted rate for Warm Weather Training camps through Expose Travel
- Discounted offer with Claridon Sports on travel tour packages to major European and World Athletics Championships (www.claridonsportstours.com).
- All registered members also receive a 10% discount at Run and Become and 10% discount at Moti Running Store
- Access to national and regional events, seminars, conferences and technical workshops which support coaches, officials, athletes and volunteers across the sport.
- Eligibility for offers from British Athletics events.
- You will also receive (optional) regular newsletters and updates from Welsh Athletics keeping you up to date with the latest news stories and developments across the sport.