EQUALITY DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Welsh Athletics is committed to making Athletics available to everyone. Everyone should be free to participate in Athletics regardless of their race, ability, religion, gender, sexuality or age.
Wales has a diverse population - not all have an equitable representation in Athletics.
Everyone should have the opportunity to participate at recreational and competitive levels and to progress to an elite level in Athletics. We know participating in sport improves community relationships and the general health of the population. Sport Wales have provided all National Governing Bodies with Equality Standards to meet, and in July 2014 Welsh Athletics is proud to have achieved the Preliminary level. Achieving this level evidences our clear and demonstrable commitment to equality by the sport and that accountability is set at the highest level of the organisation. We are now fully committed to working towards the Intermediate level of the Equality Standard in our sport.
The Welsh Athletics updated Equality Policy can be downloaded here
What are we doing ………
- Through reviewing all the information we have, and collecting further information through surveys and questionnaires, we want to better understand our sport, who participates and where. This will enable is to plan our activities and resources to address inequalities in our sport.
- We have in our strategic plan outlined our commitment to encourage more women and girls to take part and get involved in Athletics
- We are supporting the UKA programme to increase the numbers of female coaches
- We are exploring was to increase opportunities and participation for ethnic minorities in Wales
- We are working with Disability Sport Wales to increase opportunities for disabled participants in our sport. To do this we are working towards the INSport Programme
INSport is a 4 stage award programme, led by Disability Sport Wales designed to support National Governing Bodies to open the sport up to disabled people, in terms of participation, coaching, volunteering, officiating and employment opportunities.
Athletics was proud to part of the pilot programme and now is working towards achieving Bronze.