Allegations, concerns, and welfare issues

Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults is everyone's responsibility. If you are worried about any individual it is important that you report your concerns.

The Safeguarding and Child Welfare Policy and Procedures outlines in detail what to do if you are concerned about the welfare of a child, similar advice is given for vulnerable adults through our Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults policy and includes flow diagrams to describe the process you need to follow. This is also covered within the Safeguarding and Protecting Children Workshop, and the EduCare Online Training Programme.

1. If you are worried about a child or vulnerable adult then you need to report your concerns to the Club Welfare Officer.

2. If the issue is one of poor practice they will either:

  • Deal with the matter themselves or
  • Seek advice from the Welsh Athletics Lead Safeguarding Officer

3. If the concern is more serious – including instances of possible child abuse - where possible contact the Club Welfare Officer, and immediately contact the Police or Children's Services

4. If the individual needs immediate medical treatment take them to a hospital or call an ambulance and tell them this is a child protection concern. Let your Club Welfare Officer know what action you have taken

5. If at any time you are not able to contact your Club Welfare Officer, or Welsh Athletics Lead Officer and  the matter is serious then you can either:

  • Contact the Police or Children's Services (each Local Authority will have a Designated Officer).
  • Call NSPCC 24 hour Helpline for advice on 0808 800 5000

If you have any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult in Athletics, however great or small, or concerns regarding the behaviour or practice of a coach or organiser, please contact Steve Jones Lead Safeguarding  Officer, 02920 644870; 07792242153;