(Martin Rees no.7 set another world record. Photo by Paul Stillman)
Wednesday 6th August saw the fifth running of the Summer Sizzler 5K hosted by Les Croupiers Running Club in Cardiff. This year’s event saw a record turn out of 193 runners who enjoyed the good summer evening.
The race was won by Carwyn Jones (Cardiff AAC) in a time of 15:17 and the first Lady was Clara Evans (Pontypridd Roadents) 17:53 – both of whom set new event records.
Finishing in 5th place overall was Martin Rees (Les Croupiers RC), Martin has been on a good run of form of late, but was still a little surprised to reduce the M60 World Best by two seconds (beating his own mark). This is the fourth time he's revised this mark since turning 60 on 28 February 2013.
Previous best: 16:19 Mike Hager - Martin ran 16:17, then 16:14, finally 16:08 last year. He came within 1 second 3 weeks ago at Gloucester with 16:09.
It was an added bonus to bring the record back onto Welsh soil and at an event hosted by his Club.
- Carwyn Jones, 00.15.17, Cardiff AAC
- Daniel Bodman, 00.15.57, Aberdare VAAC
- Ashleigh Harper, 00.15.59, Aberdare VAAC
- Clara Evans, 00.17.53, Pontypridd Roadents
- Sally Wilder, 00.18.54, San Domenico RRC
- Kelly Morgan, Female Vet 35, 00.19.49, Aberdare VAAC